Competition and the fight for clients are an integral part of any business, and at different times, companies have used different methods to acquire and retain customers. As we live in the age of digital transformation, the main efforts are aimed at cyberspace, where specialized software — the Digital Experience Platform — is becoming the most powerful tool for doing business.
The evolution of people from ordinary consumers and workers to digital consumers and workers has resulted in increased demands and higher standards for providers. Consumers expect highly personalized, consistent, and seamless digital experiences with brands and enterprises across all potential touchpoints in the 24/7 mode.
The concept of digital customer experience has also transformed. Currently, it’s not only about acquiring users via virtual channels; it’s about satisfying all of their needs and establishing long-term relationships. To achieve this result, companies should be concerned with UI improvements, mobile responsiveness, relevant content, and real-time data delivery, etc.
Hence, the necessity arose to create a special software solution that will be able to manage multiple tasks.
A Digital Experience Platform (DXP) is an emerging type of advanced enterprise-level software that can organize and optimize user experiences across all digital interaction channels (websites, mobile apps, social media), as well as collect, process, and analyze data for business purposes.
Typically, companies perform these tasks using separate software solutions, which is inconvenient and costly.
DXP integrates a set of technologies, such as CMS, web portals, analytics, e-commerce, marketing, search and recommendations, and operates as a single aggregated product, contributing to digital experience management. This smart integration enables the comprehensive digital functioning of an enterprise and provides impeccable customer personalization across all channels. Depending on vendors and company goals, the digital experience platform architecture may include not only these basic components but various custom functions as well.
Liferay Digital Experience Platform (DXP) is an advanced enterprise-level software solution that enables the easy transformation of various digital business processes. The main objective of having DXP is to ensure rich customer experiences. Normally, DXP is a single product but it may also comprise a series of products that work together to provide the necessary architecture for digitizing business operations.
Liferay Digital Experience Platform (DXP) formerly (Liferay Portal) is a software to design, manage, and bring end-to-end customer experiences non-stop, for every customer touchpoint. Liferay DXP collects the customer data from multiple systems throughout the enterprise, to handle and enhance the entire customer relationship (company website, customer support portal, CRM, etc.).
Liferay DXP is created to work within your current business processes and technologies and provide a custom solution that uniquely meets your needs. Your customers are looking for flawless, unified experiences – deliver them with Liferay DXP.
Liferay DXP evolved from a best-in-breed horizontal portal platform, with robust support for user management and simplified UI development for beautiful presentation layers that bring your existing systems together.
Leverage content management tuned for enterprise teams, with tools to facilitate collaboration between technical and business users.
Collaboration and Social
Connect people and systems through a modern interface focused on getting work done. Digital Asset Management Efficiently organizes, stores, and shares enterprise assets on one central system.
Mobile Experience Platform
Deliver responsive, native, or hybrid mobile experiences with one development platform.
Forms and Workflows
Automate common business processes with robust features for creating forms and workflows.
Liferay is an open-source enterprise portal that is free and mainly used to enable corporate extranet and intranet. It is a robust web application platform written in Java and offers a host of features useful for the development of portals and websites. With its built-in web content management system, it allows users to create websites and portals with the integration of themes, portlets (pluggable UI software components), and pages.
Single point of access for all digital business communication – Liferay helps companies build comprehensive, fast, and reliable digital experiences for their customers. Through these digital experiences, customers can stay in touch with the businesses, share their views, and get answers to their questions. Businesses can quickly build websites and mobile apps by leveraging the readymade out-of-the-box features of Liferay – they also have options to customize the content and functionality for specific segments and make the content available on mobile devices.
Hook and Plugin Extensions – With Liferay, it is possible for businesses to customize the product behavior to suit the business needs without the need for rewriting the code from scratch. The hook plugins are easy to use and lead to lesser maintenance and upgrade issues. Hooks may be used in place of extension plugins for performing custom actions on user login or portal start-up or for modifying the properties of the portal.
Modularity – Businesses have an option to detach each functionality or module built using Liferay from the core installation. This ensures that instead of building a single large application, businesses can now build small modules and ensure that the overall application performance is not hampered because of the overheads. With such modularity, the installations become more manageable, deployments are faster, and maintenance is easier.
Developer-Friendly – With features like easy integrations, support for major infrastructure solutions, compliance with major industry standards, and support for tools written in other languages, Liferay is extremely popular amongst the developer community as well.
Monolithic to Microservices – This is where Liferay has taken a step into the future. The architecture has changed at a very fundamental level where the applications are divided into different bundles that use the OSGi framework. This changes almost everything about how Liferay works. Now every portlet first page to the other as a microservice, as opposed to the IPC that happened in earlier versions. All portlet properties are now easily exposed and usable across portlets.
Microservices – This will let you slice and dice your offerings into smaller modules that can continue to upgrade at different speeds. For Example, your e-commerce cart needs to come out with new features every fortnight while the forums undergo changes not more than once annually, in such a scenario, Liferay DXP is the ideal platform for you.
Faster page refresh – Liferay DXP uses the state of the art Senna.js single page application (SPA) engine that can dramatically optimize any site’s performance. SPA is the same technology as used by Gmail, Facebook, etc. SPA loads all of the resources required to navigate throughout the site on the first-page load. As the user clicks links and interacts with the page, subsequent content is loaded dynamically. Post the first-page load, a full-page request is never made. SPA taps into the powerful capability of the perceived performance set of HTML 5.
Wider Tooling Support – Use build management tools of choice – BND tools, Griddle, Maven, Gulp, Blade CLI, LR Dev Studio. With all these choices to pick from, organizations and developers can pick build tools of convenience when starting development in Liferay. Liferay is now open for a much bigger community of developers who are proficient on different Build tools.
Overwriting EXT & Hook – DXP now provides an abstraction on implementation with OSGi bundles/modules and services. Initially, the main Liferay core classes could only be over-ridden through EXT or hook. Now in Liferay 7, everything comes as a bundle and you just overwrite what you want to in a bundle. This makes faster customization and only customizing what we want.
Semantic Versioning – Now run multiple versions of the same module simultaneously on a single Liferay instance. So for example you have a version of Wiki(feature) running on your installation, you can now go ahead, make changes based on your new demands in that feature with different versioning and that modified versioning services are available to be used by the application. Even both the old and new versions could be used in the same instance. You can now have newer beta versions features available for users to play with without disturbing the current functionality. Another benefit is instantiation – The same can now be in different forms of the same instance. This would help you in A/B Testing your web pages.
Upgrading a business solution stack ensures continuity with digital strategy. It also envisions the same technology ecosystem to migrate enterprise portals with compatible data systems. Every business routinely upgrades and migrates its portals, software, and platforms to ensure they are secure, integrated, and receive advanced features for easy task management.
The Goal of every portal upgrade is to streamline workflow and business processes. But, pitfalls remain. And they look overwhelming when not met with the objectives of the task.
- Operation Continuity: Businesses thrive on continued business operations. Any disruption in business processes will mean financial and value losses. This is the single biggest factor that dissuades businesses from upgrading their old non-functional portals. Liferay DXP upgrade is known for minimal intervention during portal migration and upgrades project implementations. Its provisions for easy back and recovery of data, systems, plugins, and workflows during the system mapping that mitigates hiccups during the migration process.
- Return on investment: Decision-makers want to know about the return on investment whether it is a large technology upgrade or small plugin development. They have to see a realization of their business and processes for guaranteed returns or enhancements to current processes. Liferay Portal Development project can commence and complete without incurring any license costs. It has the total lowest cost of ownership in the entire technology landscape.
- Features and Functionalities: Which features to include while upgrading old portals and inclusion if certain functionalities without hindering the entire migration of the project is a critical question that comes up in every portal migration and upgrades project. And this becomes a bone of contention among management, development, and operation silos without an end. With Liferay, these issues do not arise. It has multiple built-in plugins, portlets, and functions that can be easily integrated without affecting any existing platform or data. Moreover, adding other out-of-box features and plugins to add value to the Liferay Upgrade portal is easy and done rapidly.
- Improvements: What happens after the portal has been upgraded or migrated from other technology? Will the business be able to optimize its usage? OR will there be any scope for improvements in the current architecture or for changes due to user experience? These questions bug every business analyst and managers alike. Liferay DXP comes equipped to handle all these complex issues. It has provisions to allow changes, improvements in both design and coding, and user experience upon requirements posed post portal migration.
- Integration and Implementation: Worries of integration of legacy systems, data and cross-platform is huge, and finding an amicable solution is a big task. It is made complicated when new requests merge obsolete technologies or business practices to continue with new portals.
Liferay has a unique advantage as it allows for easy integration with all modern and legacy technologies like .NET, Java, PHP, C+, etc. Moreover, it’s dynamic structure allows it to merge, collate, and integrate databases and features of existing systems easily on its digital experience platform.
- Future developments: No business is perfect and runs without changes. So, one of the major issues is will the new portal upgrade envisage future developments that might come both in terms of business models and policies. Also, will the technology sustain itself in the rapidly changing tech landscape? Liferay 7 has a robust Liferay community that solves major technology hurdles with great collaborations to solve business-critical issues. Moreover, it regularly releases the latest version to include new functions, plug loopholes, and create security apparatus for existing Liferay portal users.
- Technology Partner: This is also a deciding factor for portal upgrade projects. A technology partner that is available to tackle all issues pertaining to Liferay Portal Upgrade and migration is a must for business. Moreover, the availability of experienced and expert developers is also essential while selecting both technology and awarding the project. Liferay has a stitched partner network across the globe. Their partners not only employ and train developers but also certify them once they are able to meet Liferay criteria for certified users. This not only builds some great community partnerships but also enhances trust among technology enthusiasts and enterprises.
Liferay 7 / DXP: 7 UI features making the difference
Liferay 7 / DXP has been released and it is widely accepted and highly appreciated by users. Here are some cool UI features, that most of the business users have been liking a lot and have simplified their work a lot.
1) Everything is just a click away
Yes, everything is literally just a click away. The small black and white box at the top left opens everything with just a click.
2) @mention – Get user name while writing/replying comments on Blogs.
The user name can be mentioned while posting comments/replies. It helps in keeping users engaged.
Enables to add geographic coordinates on which location content is created. One can add geolocation metadata to his web content, data lists, documents & media.
4) Alloy Editor
It is a modern editor. Various small but highly useful buttons/navigation makes the content writer’s job way easier than ever before.
With the plus icon – the user can quickly insert an image, table, line, etc.
5) Content Difference.
It doesn’t need multiple windows neither it needs any manual way to compare the content. It is just right there on a single click
6) Ease of Blogging
Various changes in the way of authoring a blog, wiki pages like title, content categorization and all relevant components are there in a single view. The Ease of creating/editing blogs has impressed authors.
7) Image selector
With Liferay 7, it is more user friendly and easy to drag and drop or select multiple files. One can also add metadata/description to the files in one go.
With Liferay 7/DXP a lot of clicks have been reduced and navigation has become a lot easier which enhances the user experience.
Why Should Businesses Use Liferay For Enterprise Software Development?
Liferay is simpler than WebSphere and more flexible than SharePoint. It is both a dynamic and highly scalable platform with which beautifully interactive websites and enterprise portals are created.
Liferay DXP contains several functional units called portlets that offer extensive support for many programming languages like Java, C++, PHP, .NET, and many more. These reasons are enough for businesses to consider implementing Liferay Portals within their organizations, however, there are many other compelling ones like:
Complete Enterprise Solution: There are two editions of Liferay. Community Edition and Enterprise edition. The Enterprise edition provides all the support to manage an enterprise for all their web portal development related activities as the entire application can be developed without writing a single line of code. In the community edition, Liferay has many portlets and add-ons that work to stimulate between various Enterprise portal developments.
Cost-Effective: You can develop your Enterprise Portal without paying a penny. Liferay is a low-cost portal development solution as it does not involve licensing costs as such. However, you may need to pay for its Enterprise edition to be able to use its Out-Of-Box features.
Easy Implementations: Liferay is based on the “java” platform. so, it is easy to implement your application using multiple resources already available in the marketplace both online and offline.
The flexibility of Development: Liferay can integrate with almost every legacy ERP and CMS systems. It also provisions for integration with modern and old technologies like JBoss, spring, hibernate, and other databases. This makes it efficient for developers to change configurations and system settings to use as per your business requirements.
UI/UX Compatibility: It can work with CSS, XHTML, HTML5, and a host of other designing technologies. Moreover, it’s dynamic Drag and Drops feature makes it exciting for developers and users to move different entities within their portals.
Express Setup: Looking into Liferay’s technical aspects, developing and setting up a portal is easy. You can develop your portal within 3 days. All you need to do is just extract files and do the tools and configuration modification and you are ready to go.
Personalized Experiences: Liferay allows users to personalize their website pages and web portals. It allows a robust Enterprise Content Management System to Add/ Edit/ Remove and amend content on portals and websites with ease with an option to make it public or private, making it the best Digital Experience Platform.
Streamlined a Workflow: Liferay provides unique workflow APIs for a better user experience. By using these tools users can save time and avoid development hazards. Liferay allows users to create and apply their own workflow with custom entities.
Out-of-box modules: Liferay tool comes with more than 60 out-of-box portlets. These portlets are always in drag and deploy mode. And the same portlet can be used for the administration of various websites by a single user.
Liferay Digital Experience Platform can transform your business and could revamp it with mere single application development. After reading this blog, you must be clear on why you should adopt the Liferay Digital Experience Platform to build a system for your enterprise that makes easy workflow and can handle the business workflow smoothly. So, be a part of this Digital Transformation and give your business a Liferay Digital Experience Platform and stand out in your business from others!
Join our University Programme in Java Full Stack in association with Liferay: Join here